Well, I'm approaching week four and so far so good. Last week I wrote "What's in your DNA"? Part of my motivation for the post was an observation I made about how Critical Mass has both digital + design woven into the fabric of their DNA. it's a different kind of agency. In some ways—I feel like it's an "un-agency". The roots of the company trace back to the founder, Ted Hellard a Canadian entrepreneur who—as legend has it knocked on Mercedes -Benz door in the early-mid 90's selling an instructional Golf CD-ROM. Mercedes responded by saying something along the lines of "no thanks, but what we really need a Website".
Having not produced a Website before, Ted struck a deal with Mercedes-Benz. He offered to create the Website on spec . If Mercedes -Benz didn't like it—they were not obliged to pay anything. To this day, Mercedes -Benz remains a Critical Mass client, so you know how the story ends.
I'm re-telling this story because it seems like like that entrepreneurial spirit which was embedded in the DNA from the start still exists here. And it's pretty cool. That said—Chicago is looking for a Planning Director to help us dig into the DNA of consumers. According to the CM site, qualifications include:
• Post-secondary degree in Business, Marketing, Economics, Computer Science, Human Computer Interface or related subjects preferred
• 4 years agency/consulting and Internet-related business experiences desired
• 3 years experience leading a team in an agency/consulting or Internet-related business desired
• Experience in developing proposals and presentations for clients
• Demonstrated ability to communicate complex subject matter, either verbally or in written form
• Demonstrated ability in the marketing research and sciences areas, to establish and analyze complex research studies
• Teamwork and collaboration-oriented
• Detail and results oriented
• Flexible and able to multi-task
• Commitment to learning
This position will work across clients and lead a team of information architects, analysts, and planners.
If you ask me, I'd be looking for an individual with extreme curiosity, who is passionate about getting into the heads of customers and also believes in the power of digital and how this impacts our lives. This means leading Ethnography efforts and getting out in the field as well as helping cultivate both strategic and tactical insights which help drive ideas. If you think you fit the bill, you can apply on the Critical Mass Website, or even shoot me out a note.