The following is a guest post from Jacob Morgan, author of the Amazon best-selling book, The Collaborative Organization, which is the first comprehensive strategy guide to emergent workplace collaboration. He is the principal of Chess Media Group, blogs at Social Business Advisor can be found on Twitter @JacobM.
- disengaged employees
- employee productivity issues
- too much time spent in email
- stagnant innovation
- work-life balance issues
- finding people and information
- retaining and transfering knowledge
- organizational alignment
Although I believe that new collaboration tools and strategies can help solve these problems, I think what's more interesting are the broader implications. If businesses are able to engage their employees and allow them to more effectively collaborate with each other, what happens?
I believe the following:
- Feel more inspired or happier at work and about their jobs
- Become more productive
- Build networks of passion and interest
- Feel challenged and encouraged
- Feel as though they work with a sense of purpose
- Contribute more ideas which lead to opportunities that the organization can leverage (revenue generation and cost savings)
- Help each other at work
This is what happens to employees while at work, but think about what happens to these same employees when they leave work at the end of the day? I believe these same employees:
- Will be less stressed out at home
- Will spend more time with family and loved ones
- Will live their lives with greater zeal and passion
- Will worry less about work related issues as they will have the ability to work from anywhere and know that they can get access to the right people and information the need
We have started to see organizations make the necessary investments in the enterprise collaboration space but we need more. We need our businesses to evolve faster and I personally see this as a business requirement for organizations today. I also believe that we should start spending more time looking at how collaboration more broadly positively impacts the lives of employees, that is where the real cool and interesting stuff happens!